Rockville VFD Accepting Applications for Business Manager Through December 30th
The Rockville Volunteer Fire Department (RVFD) is hiring a Business Manager that understands what it takes to implement strategies and achieve sustained success. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of business and project management and be great at working with volunteers. Interpersonal skills and leadership capability are paramount, as great teamwork is vital to our success. Suitable candidates should be able to identify new opportunities quickly based off objective data. Candidates are also expected to be able to think on their feet. Interested candidates should apply by 5 PM December 30, 2019. Interviews will begin the week of January 6, 2020
Duties fall into four broad categories listed below. During the course of work, these duties may change or new duties assigned.
Community Relations and Fundraising
- Work with the administrative and operational leadership to prepare speeches, remarks or other forms of presentation for use at public and governmental meetings
- Attend City or County Council or other public or governmental meetings, as needed, to represent the department or gather information
- Assist with the development of fundraising, PR or public education materials and oversee the implementation as needed
- Analyze donor data to help the RVFD develop more effective fundraising strategies
- Work with the operational group to support requests from community members/groups for RVFD apparatus and personnel to attend events
- Identify potential sources of new funding and implement strategies and processes to reach all available funding opportunities.
- Create and submit grant applications to the appropriate entities in accordance with published requirements.
- Recommend updates to the RVFD web site
- Work with the Board of Directors and volunteer and career facilities coordinators to address issues with the facility or grounds
- Oversee contract and vendor work for facility services
- Order office equipment and supplies as necessary
- Develop and implement a records system designed to collect and produce data on such matters as equipment replacement and revenue and expenditure levels.
- Assist with the purchasing of equipment and materials, which may include the preparation and solicitation of bids, in accordance with RVFD policy. On recommendation of the Board of Directors and the Account Code Managers, award bids and approve payments.
Financial and Administrative Management
- In conjunction with the Department Treasurer, prepare the annual preliminary Department budget and submit it to the Board of Directors.
- In conjunction with professional accounting staff, as appropriate, develop and implement financial accounting systems in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to meet Department needs, including accounts payable/receivable, fixed assets, and self-funded programs.
- Manage and oversee the preparation, analysis and presentation to the Board of Directors of financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Ensure timely responses on financial data, records, information requests, funding questions, and compliance reporting to Montgomery County, and/or the State, or other funders.
- Assure compliance with all local, state and federal financial reporting, record keeping, and transparency requirements, including information requests.
- Confer with the Board of Directors and Operational and Administrative Officers in the strategic development of policy, program, and long-range planning, and implement these through the direct performance of work or through an assigned staff or consultants.
- Evaluate effectiveness and recommend updates and enhancements to the department’s information systems, materials and processes.
- Oversee financial audits performed by contracted auditing firm.
- Coordinate with volunteer committee members to arrange for supplies, materials and services to support the committee’s work
- Assist the Membership Committee and Secretary in maintaining volunteer personnel files
- Respond to background investigation requests related to volunteers following appropriate employment laws and RVFD policies
- Assist in analyzing volunteer and member statistics
- Assist committee members in making budget requests as part of the annual budget process
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university with a major in accounting, business administration or public administration, including or supplemented by advanced course work in accounting, and five years of professional-level experience in a financial management or project management position. A valid Maryland Class C (or equivalent) drivers license is required.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Highly Desirable: Experience working with non-profit, volunteer organizations, especially public safety organizations. Project Management certification.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried position. Salary and benefits are negotiable and will be commensurate with experience. This is an at-will position. The employee will serve a 6-month probationary period.
Pre-Employment Requirements: The candidate must pass a background and fingerprint check.
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: financial, project or business management: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location
This Company Describes Its Culture as: Stable — traditional, stable, strong processes
Schedule: Monday to Friday